of all my recipes to date, this might be the most fun to eat! it is super easy to make and that's coming from me - the girl who until a few months ago hadn't cooked a meal in years. i kid you not.
i was so pumped when i landed on this recipe because i had been thinking about a healthy alternative to french fries and tater tots. james cooks burgers every sunday and we usually pick up frozen sweet potato fries or tots from trader joe's. right before the wedding, we substituted those for steamed veggies, but let's be honest, they're not that satisfying.
these zucchini tots are delicious, with the added benefit of being healthy!
a few tips:
grate the zucchini in the largest size your grater has; it will be easier to squeeze out the excess water in bigger chunks. to draw water out of the zucchini, sprinkle with salt after grating and let sit for 10 minutes prior to squeezing. no one wants soggy tots!
these work great in a regular muffin tin, but if you don't have one, you can use a regular muffin tin; just fill half-way. james picked up a mini-muffin tin from crate and barrel and i have to say, they're somehow more fun to eat in the bitty size.
as i mentioned for my paleo pumpkin doughnut recipe, coconut oil works great to grease pans and doesn't leave a taste behind.
· 1 cup zucchini (grated)
· ¼ cup almond meal
· ¼ cup yellow onion (chopped)
· ¼ cup cheese
· 1 egg
· salt and pepper, to taste
1. preheat oven to 350°F. grease muffin pan and set aside.
2. grate zucchini and place in cloth. squeeze out excess water.
3. in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until blended.
4. using a scoop or spoon, fill molds to the top. bake for 15 minutes or until tops begin to brown. serve warm and enjoy!
makes 12-15 tots.
click here for printable recipe card!