i adapted this crust recipe and this filling and topping recipe and the result is a crunchy crust and a healthier, but still dreamy filling.
a few tips for you:
watch the chocolate! chocolate can burn easily and you'll have to throw it out if it does burn. if you don't have a double boiler to heat the chocolate, you can create a makeshift one by filling a large pot partially with water and resting a smaller pot inside. place the chocolate in the smaller pot and stir frequently.
although i try to substitute sugar for agave nectar or honey, for this recipe, i would recommend using a powder sweetener, like splenda, for light and fluffy texture.
the coconut oil leaves a bit of an aftertaste, which shouldn't be a problem if you're a fan, but since i'm not, next time i'm going to change up the ratio of butter-to-coconut oil.
for a dairy-free topping, substitute cream for 1 egg white and 1 ripe banana. whip with hand mixer and add splenda to taste.
a healthier french silk pie
• ½ almond meal (or flour)
• ¼ tsp. sea salt
• ¼ tsp. baking soda
• 2 tbsp. honey
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
• 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
• 6 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
• 1/3 cup splenda
• 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extra
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup whipping cream
• 1 ½ tbsp. splenda
1. for crust. preheat oven to 350°. in a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients. in a smaller bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. pour wet mixture into dry and stir well. form dough into a ball and press into 9-inch pie pan. bake for 15 minutes, until crust begins to brow. set aside to cool.
2. for filling. melt chocolate using double-boiler or filling large pot ¼ full of water. place chocolate squares inside a smaller pot and rest inside larger. melt chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently. remove from heat when mostly melted and stir to melt remainder. Set aside to cool.
coddle eggs by bringing water in small saucepan to boil and dipping eggs in for 20 seconds. remove eggs immediately and place in cold water to prevent continued cooking.
in a large mixing bowl, cream butter with hand mixer on low. add in coconut oil and mix until combined. pour in chocolate and vanilla and mix until combined. add splenda and mix on medium. add one egg and mix 5 minutes on medium. repeat for remaining eggs. pour into cooled crust and smooth with spatula. let cool for 4 hours.
3. for topping. in a chilled mixing bowl, whip cream with hand mixer until peaks form. stir in splenda. spread on chilled pie with spatula. top with chocolate shavings.