I'm just under the wire, but I didn't want the month to end without touching on a subject I'm passionate about.
January is Human Trafficking Prevention month and I hope to help spread awareness about this very real problem. While it is a global issue, you might be surprised to learn that human trafficking and modern-day slavery exists in our home states, in our cities, and sometimes, in our own neighborhoods - human trafficking was reported in all 50 states last year. See the infographic below for more information about the scale and magnitude of this issue.
The good news is that there are ways to join the fight against slavery and trafficking. If you're interested in getting involved, here are a few ideas:
- This week only, buy any item from the Sevenly shop (here) and $7 will be donated to The Polaris Project, a leading organization fighting trafficking and modern-day slavery. I'm loving this slouchy sweatshirt!
- Donate to UNICEF's Child Protection Programs (here).
- Purchase an item from the Somaly Mam Empowerment Store (here), to support their mission in creating a world where women and children are safe from slavery. I have this bracelet and love it!
- Share the phone numbers below online and post this flyer to get the message out to victims.
- Follow organizations like The Polaris Project, UNICEF's End Trafficking, and Somaly Mam on Facebook and Twitter. Share updates with your friends and stay connected!
Contact your legislators.
If you or someone you know might be a victim of trafficking, call 1-888-373-7888 or text INFO or HELP to BeFree (233733) to be connected to a 24-hour help hotline.